Cold War Gone Hot: Tanks!



So today I knocked out a couple of tanks: a T-72 and an M1 Abrams, both for my Cold War project. I also finished converting another M1, ready to be painted.

Here's the pictures:

This is a Revell T-72 M1, which was the export version of the t-72, and was very similar to the T-72A. The turret should be covered in all sorts of tiny breakable details, but this is intended for wargaming, and I need several more of these things, so I can't afford to spend hours detailing the turret on each one.

Infantry-eye view. The Revell tracks are made from the same hard plastic as the rest of the kit, with indvidual track links for the curved parts and long track sections for the straight parts. These are much easier (in my opinion) to work with than the rubbery flexible tracks you get in Airfix kits and the like.

The turret, without all those fiddly details.

The massive turret of the Abrams tank, painted in Nato 3-tone camouflage.

I think that I added too much brown into the camo, but I'm not sure at the moment.

The second Abrams tank, ready for painting. These models were converted from the M1A1 tank from DeAgostini, who produce the Combat Tanks Collection magazine. I acquired them for the cheap, cheap price of £4 each, and converted them into the original M1. At some point, I'll do an article on how to do this.

Finally, i took most of my painting inspiration from the blog Cold War Hot, so head over there and check out his soviet armour.

Comments

Popular Posts